Thursday 2 April 2009

Cricket News

At last, some good news from Afghanistan. Not only has Johnny Afghan taken to playing cricket; his national team has beaten the mighty Danes and could be on its way to the World Cup finals. A naysayer might point out that it's more an overspill Pakistani team really, and that the present condition of Pakistan demonstrates that cricket is no guarantor of a civlised polity, but me I take the view that the more of the world plays cricket, the better the world will be, if only by a streaky edge past fine leg.

9 comments:

  1. Indeed. And may I recommend this excellent blog. Check out the post "Harold Alf and Me" particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link Brit - what a great blog. I'll be looking there again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently teaching Khaled Hosseini's novel, "A Thousand Splendid Suns," so I've been reading about all things Afghan these days. Soccer, nuttin'. Check out their national sport "Buzkashi" (banned, I might add, by the Taliban -- a strange thing to ban along with musical instruments, parakeets, and computers). Buzkashi is horse polo with a headless goat for the ball. Well, that's the recent innovation. In the good old tribal battlin' days, the "ball" was a P.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me, I meant "cricket" not "soccer."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it about time you had a blogroll on the sidebar? Standard practice, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Brit - it's time to pimp my blog, when I get round to it. High time Appleyard updated his blogroll too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone ever look at blogrolls? They've kind of vanished into the landscape, I suspect. A list of your favourite French wines with links to their websites would be much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're crucial so you know what gang people are in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If a 'roll is too long it's meaningless. Whenever i add a blog i try to delete one i no longer read. The Yard's is, on the other hand, full of dead links and dead blogs.

    ReplyDelete